Everyone here is focused on what’s best for the client, rather than, "How will I advance my career.” It was... read more »
Kristin D. AngerLabor/Employment Attorney
315 Fifth Avenue S, Suite 1000
Seattle WA 98104
Maureen L. Mitchell
Maureen’s environmental practice involves representing public and private entities, including non-profits, in regulatory and litigation matters. Maureen has experience in the following areas of law: CERCLA (including Natural Resource Damage claims), RCRA, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Model Toxics Control Act, SEPA/NEPA, climate change/carbon markets, and water rights. Her litigation practice has particular emphasis on commercial disputes, insurance, real estate, environmental, land use, and Indian law. She has represented clients in state and federal courts, at the trial level, and on appeal. She has also represented clients in domestic and international arbitrations. Although Maureen frequently litigates matters through trial, she also believes in accomplishing negotiated resolution of disputes, when possible. Maureen speaks fluent Russian, and has advised Russian-speaking clients in their native language.
When not practicing law, Maureen enjoys spending time with her husband and two sons, traveling, skiing, hiking, and cheering on the Seattle Sounders FC.
- CERCLA/RCRA Matters: Representation of major chemical company at Eastern Michaud Flats Superfund site with complex issues related to CERCLA, RCRA, and Indian tribe jurisdiction. Company’s property is located on fee land within the exterior boundaries of the Fort Hall Reservation of the Shoshone-Bannock Tribes.
- RCRA and Waste-Related Litigation: Represented major chemical company in litigation before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals that resulted in vacated District Court order regarding third-party beneficiary status of Indian tribe to enforce RCRA Consent Decree. Involved with appellate litigation of tribal ordinance regarding company’s waste activities, after successfully obtaining Tribal Court decision in favor of company and against tribe.
- Complex Superfund Sites: Defending former owners of waterfront sites in Superfund sites in the Pacific Northwest, including the Thea Foss Waterway, Portland Harbor, and the Lower Duwamish, from Natural Resource Damage and remedial action cost claims.
- Brownfields: Representation of joint clients seeking redevelopment of Brownfield site in Seattle, Washington, with historical dry-cleaning operations and DNAPL solvent in soil and groundwater.
- Contamination Litigation: Defended contract-based recovery claim brought against a public company in which plaintiff sought lost rent and diminution of value (stigma) damages for contaminated site. Plaintiff dropped claims after defense filed Motion for Summary Judgment.
- Clean Air Act: Representation of several clients with issues related to NAAQS PM-10 compliance, redesignation of non-compliant airshed, and compliance with Washington State toxic and nuisance emissions requirements. Served as local counsel for nine state agencies in Clean Air Act Consent Decree matter against St. Gobain Containers, Inc.
- Water Issues: Representation of private-sector clients on water banking, water rights, and Clean Water Act.
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration: Extensive litigation and arbitration experience, including three-phase AAA arbitration resulting in complete dismissal of $200 million damage claims. Experience in international arbitration under International Chamber of Commerce Rules of Arbitration. Successfully arbitrated and settled through mediation numerous commercial claims and enforced judgments through garnishment and other means.
- Commercial and Residential Lease Disputes: Advise and represent customers in landlord-tenant disputes.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Presentation, “Fundamentals of Tribal Jurisdiction,” Justice for Idaho Citizens, Inc., January 23, 2013
- Presentation, “The Deepwater Horizon Tragedy: What if it Happened Here?,” King County Bar Association Environmental & Land Use Law Annual CLE, December 8, 2010
- Co-Author, “Clinic Helps Meet Critical Need,” King County Bar Association Bar Bulletin, June 2009
- American Bar Association
- Washington Bar Association
- Idaho Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Named in The Best Lawyers In America: Natural Resources Law (2013-2017)
- Listed in Washington Super Laywers
- Named Seattle Lawyer of the Year for Natural Resources Law in The Best Lawyers In America (2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating (5.0 out of 5) for Environmental Law, Litigation and General Practice (2015)
- Washington Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Board member of Council House, a non-profit that provides affordable housing to seniors
- Volunteers for immigration clients through the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project
- University of Washington School of Law (J.D., 2000)
- Smith College (B.A., 1995)
- Washington State
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- United States District Court, District of Idaho
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Honorable H. Joseph Coleman (ret.), Washington State Court of Appeals, Division One