We reject the idea that what has always been done is the best way to do it. I’ve had a lot of customers tell me that... read more »
Maureen L. MitchellEnvironmental, Litigation Attorney
315 Fifth Avenue S, Suite 1000
Seattle WA 98104
Molly is a trial lawyer whose practice focuses on complex commercial litigation. She has represented local and national corporations in a wide variety of subject areas, including intellectual property, antitrust and employment law. Having clerked for the Honorable Marsha J. Pechman of the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, Molly has a special affinity for the federal courts, but has represented clients before other state and federal trial and appellate courts, mediators and arbitrators. Molly has experience with all aspects of litigation, including the collection and production of electronic documents.
Intellectual Property Litigation:
- Represented corporation against claims of copyright, trademark, and trade dress infringement, as well as unfair competition, in successful bench trial in the Western District of Washington.
- Successfully defended against multiple summary judgment motions on claims for copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriation, and breach of contract on behalf of corporation in action against former employees in the Northern District of California.
- Obtained dismissal of trademark infringement litigation on jurisdictional grounds on behalf of corporation in Western District of Washington.
- Successfully negotiated settlement of trademark dispute that permitted client to continue using its brand and trade name.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of corporation on claims brought under state and federal antitrust laws.
- Represented employer in defense of wage-and-hour class actions brought in state and federal courts.
- Represented employers in defense of wage-and-hour, discrimination, and harassment claims.
- Represented local corporation against the United States’ claims for cost recovery under CERCLA in successful bench trial in the Western District of Washington.
- Defended a national text advertiser against claims by an alleged class of 40 million cellphone owners
- Pro bono representation of clients in federal litigation involving constitutional challenges to rules enacted by the Washington State Board of Pharmacy in the Western District of Washington and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Contributor, "Basics of Patent Infringement Litigation," The Antitrust Counterattack in Patent Infringement Litigation, ABA, 2008
- Speaker, Trade Secrets Litigation & Transactions CLE, "Trial Strategies for Plaintiffs and Defendants," November 2007
- Speaker, 2007 Washington Women Lawyers Leadership Symposium, "The Strategy and Art of Taking and Defending Depositions," September 2007
- Member, Board of Directors for Legal Voice (formerly Northwest Women’s Law Center)
- Member, ACLU of Washington Foundation Legal Committee
- Member, Federal Bar Association Local Rules Committee
- Past member, William L. Dwyer Inns of Court and IP Inns of Court
- Past member, Washington Women Lawyers Judicial Evaluation Screening Committee
- Named a “Rising Star” by Washington Law & Politics magazine
- Chair of Summit’s Food Frenzy Committee
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D.,1998, cum laude); Order of the Coif; Co-editor in Chief of the Wisconsin Women’s Law Journal; received CALI awards for the top scores in Professional Responsibility and Feminist Legal Theory
- Northwestern University (B.A., history, 1994, Departmental Honors)
- Washington State
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Washington
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Honorable Marsha J. Penchman, United States District Court (1999–2001)
- Honorable Barbara Durham, Chief Justice, Washington State Supreme Court (1998–1999)