Mike is an experienced trial attorney who primarily represents government and public-sector employers in a broad range of labor and employment-related claims.
In addition to defending lawsuits, grievances and unfair labor practice charges, he regularly counsels clients on labor and employment issues, and provides training to employers, employees and employment lawyers on employment laws and regulations.
Mike also represents private businesses in litigation involving civil rights, wage and hour, and related labor issues. He has served as an expert witness in cases where the handling of an employment-related claim was an issue.
He speaks frequently before legal and industry groups and has presented at a number of seminars/CLEs on topics such as discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, lawful interviewing, leave laws, performance evaluations, employment investigations, the Family Medical Leave Act, direct examination, negligent hiring and supervision, defamation, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the unique aspects of employment discrimination claims against government entities.
- New York University School of Law
- University of Michigan
AB, magna cum laude, 1986
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- US District Court for the Western District of Washington
Awards & Accolades
- Washington Super Lawyers (2000, 2002-2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell, rated AV–Preeminent
- King County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, “Outstanding Mentor” (2007)
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (Board of Trustees, 2008–2013)
- On behalf of the City of Des Moines, defended negligence claims against the city in the Vili Fualaau/Mary Kay Letourneau lawsuit (jury trial); won summary judgment in defense of a wrongful termination/First Amendment claim by a discharged police officer; and defended a breach of contract claim by a former municipal judge.
- On behalf of the City of Auburn, led the defense in jury trial involving a false arrest/malicious prosecution claim; defended negligence claims arising from injuries incurred during a riot-training exercise; and defended an age and sex discrimination claim.
- On behalf of the City of Renton, defended, a bench trial, a retaliation/First Amendment claim by a firefighter; and defended an excessive-force claim.
- On behalf of the City of Cheney, defended disability discrimination claim in a jury trial.
- On behalf of the State of Washington, defended a retaliation/constructive discharge claim; and defended a disability discrimination/retaliation claim.
News & Insights
- Firm News
Summit Law Group is pleased to announce that 22 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2023 Washington Super Lawyers® and Washington Rising Stars® lists. The annually published lists recognize the top five percent of attorneys statewide based on peer recognition and professional achievement. Nine attorneys were additionally honored in the Super Lawyers Women's Edition and two were recognized for their tenth year by Super Lawyers.
- Firm News
Summit Law Group is proud to announce that thirteen of its attorneys have been named to the 2022 Washington Super Lawyers® list and five attorneys have been named to the 2022 Washington Rising Stars® list. The annually published lists recognize the top five percent of attorneys statewide based on peer recognition and professional achievement.