James Feldman is an experienced litigator and courtroom advocate who provides strategic counsel and advocacy on a wide range of matters. He has a broad range of legislative, regulatory, executive branch, and judicial branch experience which he uses to develop efficient, effective, and creative solutions for clients.
Litigation. James has litigated a wide variety of business and regulatory disputes, including those involving:
- Commercial and contract claims
- Energy and natural resource regulatory matters
- Employment disputes
- Environmental enforcement actions
- Government investigations
- Suspension and debarment proceedings
He serves as a trusted advisor at every step of the process and works thoughtfully with clients to identify their key objectives and pursue favorable resolutions through settlement, mediation, arbitration, and trial.
Prior to entering private practice, in addition to serving as a law clerk for federal judges in both Washington and Alaska, James served as a legislative assistant to U.S. Senator Mark Begich. During law school James worked for the United States Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Washington and the Office of the Alaska Attorney General.
Clients. James represents a wide range of clients, including Fortune 500 companies and smaller businesses, public entities (including municipalities and a public university), fisheries trade associations, companies that develop natural resources, real estate brokers and management companies, utilities, and individuals.
James is committed to expanding access to justice and volunteers through Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) to provide pro bono counsel in immigration proceedings to unaccompanied minors who seek to remain in the United States lawfully. Outside of his legal practice, he is a former member of the University of Washington men’s ice hockey team, for which he continues to serve as an assistant coach.
- University of Washington School of Law
Associate Editor-in-Chief, Washington Law Review; Member, Jessup International Court Competition Team; Recipient, Jack MacDonald Merit Award for Academic and Civic Achievement, Paul Ashley Memorial Law Review Scholarship for Public Service, CALI Award for Legal Analysis, Research, and Writing, Best Brief Award for Appellate Advocacy Competition
- Brown University
BA, magna cum laude, Political Science with Honors, 2007
Recipient, Top Honors Thesis in American Politics; Member, Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Honorable Judge Ronald B. Leighton, US District Court for the Western District of Washington
- Honorable Chief Judge Timothy M. Burgess, US District Court for the District of Alaska
Awards & Accolades
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Ones to Watch, Environmental Law and Litigation–Environmental, 2022-2024
- American Bar Association
- Alaska Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- University of Washington Ice Hockey Team, Assistant Coach
- Pro Bono Volunteer Attorney, Kids in Need of Defense
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- The Year in Review: Mining and Mineral Extraction, Chapter 18, ABA Environment, Energy, and Resources Section (2019).
- “Nothing Less Than the Dignity of Man: The Eighth Amendment and State Efforts to Reinstitute Traditional Methods of Execution,” 90 Wash. L. Rev. 1313 (2015).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of trade association in federal litigation challenging Marine Mammal Protection Act regulations related to development of energy resources on Alaska’s North Slope. Alaska Wildlife Alliance v. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, 2023 WL 2674760 (D. Alaska 2023).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of utilities in successful defense of permits and federal authorizations for the construction of a $1.2 billion interstate high voltage powerline. Stop B2H Coalition v. BLM, 552 F. Supp. 3d 1101 (D. Or. 2021).
- Representation of energy exploration client in successful appeal of Coastal Zone Management Act consistency certification before the Secretary of Commerce.
- Advised Fortune 500 energy clients on project permitting and regulatory compliance.
- Representation of major recycling client in successful reinstatement from federal Suspension and Debarment list, allowing client to resume contracting with the federal government.
- Representation of fisheries client in successful resolution of civil enforcement proceedings with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Representation of fishery trade association as intervenor-defendant in lawsuit challenging the federal authorizations and supporting environmental analysis for the fishery.
- Representation of trade associations as amici curiae in litigation over Endangered Species Act listing decisions before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Pro bono representation of unaccompanied minor children in asylum petition and removal proceedings in Immigration Court, resulting in dismissal of deportation proceedings.
News & Insights
- Firm News
Summit Law Group is proud to announce that twenty-four partners have been included in the 2024 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch. The annually published lists recognize the top practitioners statewide based on peer recognition and professional achievement.