Rod’s practice focuses on labor and employment law and involves litigation, counseling, training, and negotiating. Rod has extensive experience defending both public and private sector employers in discrimination, wrongful discharge, and unpaid wage cases in state and federal courts.
He has also represented public and private employers in union organizing campaigns, representation proceedings, unfair labor practice proceedings, and union discrimination matters before the Public Employment Relations Commission and the National Labor Relations Board.
Rod spends a significant amount of time counseling and advising clients about labor and employment issues. In this capacity, he assists clients with hiring, firing, and discipline issues; wage and hour issues; grievance processing; employment contracts; and employment policies. He also advises employers regarding collective bargaining strategies, and represents employers at the bargaining table during collective bargaining negotiations. In addition to his labor and employment law experience, Rod has extensive experience with complex insurance coverage, environmental and mass tort litigation.
- Stanford Law School (J.D., 1991); President, Stanford Law & Policy Review
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.S., 1987); Phi Beta Kappa
- Washington State
Awards & Accolades
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law – Management (2013 - 2023)
- Martindale-Hubbell A.V. rated
- Rated 10/10 "Superb" by Avvo
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Regularly asked to speak on a wide variety of labor and employment topics.
- Has written and published numerous articles regarding various labor and litigation topics.
- Frequently presents topics at conferences sponsored by the following organizations:
- Association of Washington Cities (annual presenter at the AWC Labor Relations Institute)
- National Public Employer Labor Relations Association
- Washington Public Employer Labor Relations Association
- Washington State Association of Municipal Attorneys
- American Water Services
- Central Washington University
- Eastern Washington University
- The Evergreen State College
- Housing Resources Group
- Kitsap County Health District
- Pioneer Newspapers
- Snohomish Health District
- Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
- Western Washington University
News & Insights
- Firm News
Summit Law Group is proud to announce that twenty-four partners have been included in the 2024 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch. The annually published lists recognize the top practitioners statewide based on peer recognition and professional achievement.
- Firm News
Best Lawyers® has named Rod Younker the 2023 Employment Law - Management "Lawyer of the Year" for Seattle. "Lawyer of the Year" awards are given to attorneys with the highest overall peer feedback for a specific practice area and geographic region. Only one lawyer is recognized as the "Lawyer of the Year" for each specialty and location.
- Firm News
Summit Law Group is proud to announce that eighteen partners have been selected by their peers for inclusion in 2023 Best Lawyers lists. Sixteen attorneys have been included in The Best Lawyers in America®, and two have been named to the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch list.
- Firm News
Eighteen Summit Law Group attorneys have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. In addition, two Summit attorneys have been included in the 2022 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch list.