Jesse Taylor is a trial lawyer and litigator who focuses on employment disputes and commercial litigation. Advising public sector as well as private employers, he has handled litigation from inception through trial and appeal in state and federal courts.
Recognized for being punctual, thorough and respectful, Jesse collaborates closely with clients to develop litigation strategies that align with both their legal and organizational goals. A fierce advocate for his clients, he works to secure a favorable resolution as efficiently as possible while minimizing the risks and costs of litigation.
Whether prevailing on summary judgment through clear, concise and compelling legal briefs, or taking a case through trial to a favorable verdict, Jesse’s proactive approach to litigation has paid off for his clients. His practice includes:
Employment litigation. Jesse has advised on a full range of employment disputes, including:
- Discrimination claims
- Workplace accommodations, including vaccine accommodations
- Class actions
- Wage and hour disputes
- Administrative hearings
- Grievance arbitrations for unionized employees
Commercial litigation. In addition to his work representing employers, Jesse has litigated a range of general commercial disputes, including those involving:
- Public records
- Copyright and trademark
- Breach of contract/warranty
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- First Amendment
Clients. Jesse’s clients include cities, counties, government agencies, legislative bodies and other public sector entities, a global online retailer, newspaper and media organizations, homeowners’ associations and foreign corporations.
- University of Michigan Law School
Asia Law Society, Treasurer (2014-2015); Public Benefits Advocacy Project, Office Coordinator (2013-2015)
- University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School
MA, Japanese Studies, 2016
- University of Idaho
BA, Political Science, 2011
Golden Key International Honour Society; Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society; The National Society of Collegiate Scholars
- The Honorable Stephen J. Dwyer, Washington State Court of Appeals, Division I (2016-2018)
Awards & Accolades
- Selected for Washington Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list (2022)
- University of Michigan, Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS)
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association, LGBT Law Section member; former Young Lawyer Liaison (2018-2020)
- King County Bar Association
- QLaw Foundation of Washington, Volunteer Attorney (2018-present)
- Defended the City of Seattle from an appeal dismissing the city from a defamation lawsuit brought by two police officers based on statements made by a City Council member (Miller v. Sawant, 2020 WL 1987073 (9th Cir. April 27, 2020)).
- Moved to dismiss a defamation complaint, under Oregon’s anti-SLAPP statute, brought against an Oregon newspaper and several other media defendants.
- Represented a foreign corporation at trial against a Washington manufacturer in a breach of warranty action in which the contract expressly limited the customer’s remedy to repair or replacement of defective parts; overcame a motion for summary judgment and prevailed in a jury trial after the jury found that the limited repair or replace remedy had failed of its essential purpose.
- Defended a homeowner’s association and its individual board members against claims for discrimination, defamation, civil conspiracy and violations of the Washington Homeowners’ Association Act; prevailed on a motion for summary judgment and all claims were dismissed with prejudice.
- Defended an organization that matches medical school graduates with hospitals for residencies and fellowships against claims for antitrust violations and civil conspiracy; prevailed on a motion to dismiss all claims against his client.
News & Insights
- Firm News
Summit Law Group is proud to announce that twenty-four partners have been included in the 2024 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch. The annually published lists recognize the top practitioners statewide based on peer recognition and professional achievement.
- Firm News
Summit Law Group is pleased to announce that 22 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2023 Washington Super Lawyers® and Washington Rising Stars® lists. The annually published lists recognize the top five percent of attorneys statewide based on peer recognition and professional achievement. Nine attorneys were additionally honored in the Super Lawyers Women's Edition and two were recognized for their tenth year by Super Lawyers.
- Firm News
Summit Law Group is proud to announce that thirteen of its attorneys have been named to the 2022 Washington Super Lawyers® list and five attorneys have been named to the 2022 Washington Rising Stars® list. The annually published lists recognize the top five percent of attorneys statewide based on peer recognition and professional achievement.